Monday, June 27, 2011

Age Old Question

For as long as I can remember, people have pondered the age old question - What came first, the chicken or the egg?  Well, in Shawn's Barn the answer is easy--the chicken.  The question now is "Where are the eggs?"  I have been running a small little "fresh egg" business.  I have a few regular customers but word is spreading.  My six older girls have been pretty good about supplying me with merchandise but it was easy to see they were going to eventually need some help.  Soooooooo.......I bought 12 new little baby girls early this spring.  I raised them and named most of them because that is just what I do.  I name my chickens and my goats and anything else that will let me love them.  I have even noticed different personalities in the flock.  There is just one thing that I haven't noticed --EGGS.

Okay, ladies, time to squat and give me some eggs.  You girls are HUGE.  Yes, HUGE.  You are eating me out of house and barn.  I now know what a wattle is and the many different combs a chicken can have.  I have pampered you and talked to you and cleaned up after you.  Time to do your part.  Please, please, please give me some eggs.

In the meantime, the six old ladies in the barn are getting tired.  They look at me with their little round chicken eyes as if begging for a hyster-chicken-ectomy.  They have worked hard, but hey, we're a team.  I'm probably the only person in Lincoln Parish that would be really, really sad when I eventually lose a chicken.  Tommy has threatened a couple of times to make a big pot of chicken and dumplings.  Don't worry girls, mommy has your back.  Just lay me a few eggs, please.

The pictures are of two of the old ladies.
                                                            

1 comment:

  1. Per WWW:
    Most hens start to lay around 4-6 months of age, more or less.
    However, for various reasons (time of year, temperature, etc.) they may wait
    until the next Spring to start laying eggs

    Chickens usually don't simply "stop" laying eggs when they get to a certain age, but they will lay fewer as they get older. That said, most laying breeds will lay more or less productively in backyard terms for five or seven years

    Your writing is great!

    ReplyDelete